Community Impact Focus Area Description
Increasing the effectiveness of nonprofit organizations and their leaders.
North Carolina nonprofit organizations are effective and sustainable.
Who Can Apply
Nonprofit organizations must be aligned with the Foundation’s mission of improving the health and well-being of North Carolinians, and address the priorities of the Healthy Active Communities and Health of Vulnerable Populations focus areas.
- Increasing physical activity and encouraging healthy eating habits for North Carolinians.
- Improving health outcomes of vulnerable populations served by safety-net organizations in North Carolina.
Organizations must have a high probability of sustainability beyond the capacity-building initiative, and offer opportunities for collaboration and partnerships. Capacity building projects must also demonstrate measurable impact on organizational performance or leadership as it relates to the Foundation's capacity-building results as described below.
1. Improve a nonprofit organization’s performance and results in the following areas:
- Program delivery and impact (including efficiency, reach, effectiveness, etc.)
- Fundraising and long-term financial stability
- Board leadership and contributions to the organization
- Operational efficiencies and infrastructure (could include hardware, software, system change, etc.)
- Collaborations and partnerships with other organizations in order to better serve stakeholders
- Organizational Assessments — Evaluate strengths and weaknesses of organization
- Strategic Planning — Overall assessment, key strategy planning and implementation (post organizational assessment)
- Governance and Leadership — Board development and succession planning
- Resource Development — Fund development and financial sustainability
- Strategic Relationships and Brand Development — Collaboration and partnership planning with external stakeholders, advocacy planning, and strategic communication planning (e.g., marketing, website)
- Program Delivery and Impact — Organizational program assessment, evaluation and impact (e.g., outcome planning, assess service delivery and effectiveness)
- Operations and Management — Internal infrastructure planning (e.g., staff development planning or implementation, restructuring, and/or operational analysis)
We strongly recommend that you take time to discuss your project with our program officers to ensure it aligns with the measurable results we're seeking in this focus area.