HVP Focus Area Description
Improving health outcomes for North Carolinians served by health care safety-net organizations
North Carolinians receive the medical care they need, when they need it, in a high quality, local, culturally sensitive environment.
Eligible target populations include low-income, uninsured and medically underserved individuals receiving health services from safety-net organizations. We prioritize our work to focus on adults aged 18-64, often referred to as the working poor and increasing access to dental care for all underserved populations.
Consideration is given as to whether the project has high potential for sustainability and will create lasting environmental or policy change. Programs that underwrite the cost of care without policy changes that enhance sustainability are considered on an extremely limited basis. For guidance on screening programs, please consult the Eligibility Guidelines.
The Foundation assumes as a baseline that programs tailor care to the cultural differences of patients and as appropriate, those with limited English proficiency or low health literacy. In addition, organizations should be actively engaged in, or at a minimum supportive of, collaborations such as Care Share Collaborative Networks in their communities.
Highest priority is given to applicants using strategies that will achieve measurable results in multiple areas outlined below and will periodically issue Requests for Proposals that outline specific results sought.
1. Increase quality, supply of and access to (medical and dental) health care
- Increase coordination and continuity of care in or among health care safety-net organizations
- Increase the number and/or availability of providers serving vulnerable populations
- Increase provider use of evidence-based protocols and quality improvement measures
- Enhance operations and infrastructure of health care safety-net organizations
2. Improve individual health with a particular focus on diabetes, cardiovascular and oral health
- Improve self-care or preventive behavior
- Reduce the number of visits to emergency departments for non-urgent care
- Achieve blood pressure control <140/90
- Achieve A1C less than or equal to 7
- Increase rate of completion of phase 1 dental treatment plan