Access to Oral Health Services
As part of our commitment to increasing access to, and quality of, oral health care at mission-driven safety net providers, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation has an open funding opportunity focused on supporting safety net health care organizations to add or significantly enhance oral health services resulting in new and sustainable dental homes in dental shortage areas. This funding is expected to support capital and other startup costs for new or expanded dental clinics.
Grants can support up to 20 percent of the total project costs for large projects such as a new program or significant expansion of an existing program. These grants are intended to supplement or incent other funders’ support and are expected to range from $25,000 to $60,000 depending on the scope of the project. In the specific case of existing programs, one time funding is available to expand the number of chairs in an existing dental clinic.
This funding is not competitive; however, applicants must meet the following criteria or milestones before receiving a grant agreement (note: it is not necessary to meet these milestones before applying).
- Demonstrate practice viability through a revenue and expense projection (it is expected that HRSA will be a co-funder in many of these projects)
- Demonstrate proven results as a health care provider
- Secure a commitment from a dentist to work in the program
- Serve a dental shortage area
- Secure additional funding for 80 percent of the project for large projects
Eligible applicants must be 501(c)(3) organizations or government entities with tax-exempt status. Private foundations and Type III supporting organizations are not eligible. The primary population served must be located within the state of North Carolina.
While the scope of projects will vary, projects are likely to evaluate their success by measures including:
- Improved access to preventive and restorative dental care at new practice sites
- Increased medical-dental integration at new practice sites
- Spread of new and sustainable models of oral health care
How to Apply
Funding is available on a rolling basis. To apply, please contact Katie Eyes to discuss eligibility and application timeline.