Access to Dental Care
Access to dental care is a critical challenge for many adults and families. Community health centers, local health departments, and free and charitable clinics that make up the safety net have a mission commitment to provide care regardless of insurance status or ability to pay and are a common point of care for these populations. However, of the 299 community health center locations in the state, only 49 currently offer dental services. This articulates the need for additional access points for dental care in North Carolina.
As part of an overall commitment to support new or expanded access at safety net dental clinics, the Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina Foundation is issuing grants of up to $80,000 to serve as a portion of the overall cost to open or significantly expand existing safety net clinics.
- Organization Type
- Health department.
- Federally Qualified Health Center.
- 501(c)(3) clinic.
- Mission commitment to provide care regardless of insurance status or ability to pay.
- Launching new or significantly expanding existing safety net dental services.
The following are required to be considered for funding.
- Plan to use a business model that is sound and sustainable (this typically includes a mechanism for billing).
- Have or will secure other funds for the project. Funds from this grant should serve as no more than 20% of the total budget.*
- Facility must plan to provide a dental home for patients.
- Facility must have commitment from a dentist to work in the program.*
- Funds can be utilized for a mobile unit or physical location if other criteria are met.
*Please Note: requirements with an asterisk do not need to be completed until funds are dispersed.
|Deadline or Activity||Date(s)|
|Funding opportunity opens||November 8, 2022|
|Foundation staff available for consultation||Rolling|
|Response to application from the Foundation||Within 30 days of submission|
A webinar was recorded to provide background information about the approach to this funding opportunity, outline the work the Foundation is interested in supporting, and detailing information on the application and review process.
Learn More and Apply
For questions about this funding opportunity:
- Daijah Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org